As noted earlier this year, I’m keeping a media diary for 2016. These are my July findings:
- In July, I rated 16 films, 2 books, 2 plays, 8 seasons of television, and 11 albums.
- The average rating (out of 5) is 3.51, which is above average.
- By medium, TV (3.69) has the highest rating.
- The best of the month:
- Film: The Looking Movie
- Book: “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde
- Music: “Blisters in the Pit of My Heart” by Martha
- TV: Bojack Horseman, Season 3
- Play: A Breakup is Swift
I’m surprised the ratings for July are so high. I gave my first zero-rating of the year (Hillary’s America, reviewed here). I saw some bad plays, and neither book I read left a strong impression. Still, there were several high-quality albums, films, and TV seasons that kept averages high. The lesson, I suppose, is not to let that the dregs are not enough to keep me down.
Year to date totals:
- 106 films, 19 books, 44 seasons of television, 73 albums, and 7 plays
- Total average: 3.46
- Averages by medium:
- Films: 3.34
- Books 3.38
- Music: 3.51
- TV: 3.66
- Theater: 3.86